This year the Department for Education provided substantial funding to Seaham High School to run a year 6 into 7 summer school. All students who applied to Seaham High School were invited to a one-week summer school in July 2021. 180 students responded and took up our offer to attend.
Summer school this year ran over two weeks with students opting to attend one week of their choice.
Each week students were offered a range of activities both in school and through eternal visits.
Our Activities included:
- Zoolab – Zoological animal session and animal handling
- Noo Noo’s Forestry School – Team building and bush crafts
- Mr McGuire’s School of Rock – Music/Band group
- PE Departments – Sports Day
- Literacy – Time capsule – Develop a love for literacy
- Jurassic DNA – Science & Numeracy
- Team Building – Spaghetti Tower
- Mill Hill Outdoor Education Centre – Abseiling, Canoeing and Gorge Walking
- ROF59 – Adventure climbing, zip lining, drop zone, team building & development.
- Literacy Time Capsule Activity – A student burying their work on the school grounds, ready to dig up for their Year Book in 2026
Feedback from all was very positive with:
- 99% of parents were very satisfied with summer school.
- 96% felt that communication, planning and organisation was very good.
- Parents and students rated all activities as good or very good.
Quotes from our feedback form:
- Megan really enjoyed all the activities she took part in especially ROF59 and it was an excellent opportunity for her to get to know children from other schools. She was also pleased that they got to see inside the school so they are familiar with it in September.
- My daughter was happy all week at summer camp, the activities were brilliant.
- Great week, thank you so much!
- Described ROF59 as “The best school trip ever”
- Fab! My son loved everything.
- The canoeing activity at Low Mills and the DropZone activities at ROF59 were amazing and my child thoroughly enjoyed them. They took him out of his comfort zone but he enjoyed every minute.
- Came back enthused about the whole thing and enjoyed meeting new people.
- Excellent week, my son really enjoyed his time at summer school. He enjoyed learning and taking part in new activities that he hadn’t tried before.
- Fantastic opportunity. Daughter really enjoyed every part of summer school and she tried things she never thought she would be brave enough to do.
- Very pleased as my son anxieties of starting senior school have gone and he is now looking forward to it so thank you.
- It has been a great experience and you have gave my daughter a chance to meet new friends and some of the teaching staff before she starts in September.
- Brilliant week! Was great for them all to mix and make new friends.
- Outstanding event for the children. I have only heard positive things from other parents and carers regarding the summer school event. Well done and thank you for providing a fantastic experience for our children despite the difficult circumstances due to CV19.
- I Just want to say a massive thank you to all the staff and everyone involved in this, giving children the chance to experience school and meet new people, my daughter said all the staff were lovely, helpful and she really enjoyed every day!
– Low Mill Outdoor Education Centre
– Noo Noo’s Forestry School
– Coach to external visits
– In house catering for lunch and brunch
– Dining at ROF59 for lunch
– Sports Day
– Time Capsule
– Breakout Games
Total Spend £48,948.56